Friday, February 25, 2011

[rti4empowerment] Sri Govindaacharya at door

 

Friends,


Today, when Sri Surendra Bisht, Acting Coordinator of Lok Satta Initiative told me that he was coming to our house, little did I had that he were to have another surprise guest with me. 


So, when I opened the door and found a very familiar face, I got some small but pleasant shock. It was Sri K N Govindacharya, the legend about whom we all know so well. We know about his contributions to politics and his society and also about the tiffs he had and the way he has now started an All India campaign by the name of "Knit India" movement.

I have none of the credits to be honoured by the visit of this person, all on his own and hence, when he was there at the door, I was genuinely delighted. I have no inhibition in saying that I would not have got one-tenth of that delight if I had people like SRK or Dhoni were there (not that they are going to come anyway!).

The real thing started now. Having read my name and having talked to me for a minute or so, he started talking in impeccable "Bihari", with our peculiar style of stretching words and syllables. When asked, I came to know that he can speak Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Bengali, Oriya and almost all variants of Hindi. 


To give an idea of his width of thought and outlook, in the 30 minutes that I interacted with him, he started his life with Left, being closely associated with CPI, then moved to right, with his Sangh associations and now is holding his own independent views. He called his view as being humanistic (influence of Left) and nationalistic (influence from Right).


To go slightly deeper into his unfathomable persona, he saw a book on "Bagamati" river written by another genius of his kind, Dr Dinesh Kumar Mishra (Dr Mishra is a B Tech from IIT Kharagpur who has dedicated all his life to study and control of flood in North Bihar), and said- "Oh, so this the book by Dr Dinesh. I had heard a lot about him." I asked him if he would like to talk to Dr Mishra to which he readily agreed and when they talked, it was as if they were friends for years.

There were many other smaller and bigger issues on which he talked, but I could easily realize that the person sitting in front of me was something very-very unusual and special.
When I brought my children to meet Sri Govindacharya, he started talking to them on studies and when my wife Nutan came, he could locate her house both at Patna and in Hazipur, along with a few prominent persons of that region.
By the time he departed, having taken an assurance that we will invite him for lunch the next time, I was feeling completely dazed and mesmerized by his personality.
Being in police, we often have opportunities of meeting "big" people, but it is not that we meet "great" people every other day


Amitabh Thakur,
IPS,
Lucknow
# 94155-34526


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment