Friday, November 11, 2011

[rti4empowerment] Four more poems on Police and policing- from personal experience

 

Friends,

Thanks a lot for ur appreciation for the four poems I had posted about Police and Policing.
I present here four more poems which show the ground realities that policing in India faces today.
It might give some further insight into Indian Policing

Amitabh Thakur
IPS
Rules and Manuals,
Lucknow
#  94155-34526


Who in Police is an Idiot?

What I really hate
in my work
as a Police officer
is when
any DGP of Police
starts believing
that the entire burder
of the Department
lies solely on him/her
and the rest of the people
are either corrupt
or grossly inefficient
or hugely useless
and he states
these facts
all and sundry
to everyone around
to make them realize
how useless they are
and how "Great" the DGP is
and then all the IGPs
who work under the DGP
share the same thoughts
with equal vehemence
about everyone else
subordinate to him
and then the same thing
percolates downwards
when all the IPS officers
feel that they are the ones
who have the entire burden on them
and the rest are useless
and they speak it loudly
in their private conversations
and then the DSPs think the same
vis-a-vis themselves
and the officer in charge
and this goes on and on
till the time
we reach the very end
where the officer
on the lowest rung
has no one else to blame
for whatever wrong takes place
he searches for other options
and finds that the only people
he can really blame
for all the bane
are the common citizen
which he goes on doing
all and sundry,
thus finally establishing
what is so grandly called
"The great Police culture"
Mr X was a criminal till yesterday

Another thing
I thoroughly dislike
while working
... as a Police officer
is the way
the fortunes
and the treatment
of the same person
dramatically changes
just overnight
and hence the same
Ms Elizabeth Taylor
or Mr Michael Jackson
or any other chap
who till yesterday
was a notorious criminal
and a history-sheeter
in the Police station Rambo
in the district Deoria
or the district Basti
or the district Ballia
or any other district
in the State of Arizona
or any other State
being "wanted" in a murder case
or being an "accused" in a rape case
or being considered a Gangster
or being regarded a Mafia
suddenly becomes
a nice gentleman
someone who is given a seat
most respectfully
in the SP's office
in the State of Arizona
or the State of Dakota
or any other State
and is cajoled
and is pampered
just because
since yesterday
he belonged
to political party "A"
and from today
for some time
has joined
political party "B",
all I personally feel
is that we treat
Mr Jackson or Ms Taylor
as a criminal
or as a respected person
a bit more consistently
and not go topsy-turvy
on such extraneous considerations,
he really hurts
and makes a mockery
of us all.

The wail of a Police officer

As a police officer
kindly ask me
to do every thing
that concerns
a police officer
as a professional
what I have been trained
what I have been said
what I am required to do
what is expected of me
what my Department is for
what the public expects me
what the laws of land say
I will feel so better
I will perform so better
I will respond so better
I will remain so better
I will be a professional
but if you use me
to settle your scores
with all your rivals
political or individuals
or to crush
the genuine grievances
or the pain and anguish
of the common masses
or such other things
where I get a taste
of my bad power
I shall certainly
start liking it
because the attraction
towards evil
is always so lucrative
and thus I
a thorough professional
when I pass out
from my Police training college
get more and more
unprofessional and callous
till the time
I can no more

Why I love being a Police Officer

Despite everything
that is wrong with me
I still feel
very strongly
and most consistently
without an iota of doubt
that I, an individual
am the most fortunate
of all the people
to have become
a police officer
simply because
the job that I do
offers me at all times
tremendous opportunities
and a lot of space
and huge potentials
to work incessantly
for everyone
who comes to me
in times of distress
and extreme anxiety
and pathos and trouble
where I intervene
to give the person
immediate relief
and deliverance from pain
and I, an individual
and I, a police man
feel the happiness
and get the satisfaction
of seeing the face
of the man
who had come to me
with contrived outlooks
and is going back
with smile on this face
and a "thanks" on his lips.
Amitabh

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment