Tuesday, May 17, 2011

[rti4empowerment] First among equals

 

The Indi Patriot:

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First among equals

 

Today I had to visit one of Mumbai's largest hospitals and while there I had an epiphany.

Every single one of us thinks we are special, the law is for everyone else except us.

Here's what happened

While I was there, a beat up Maruti van came in, and the people who were in it jumped out and started to bang on my rear boot wanting me to move my car. Bang Bang bang…….I got the shock of my life.

Now remember this was while a patient was getting out of my car to enter the emergency room. My patient had one foot out of the door and was just about to exit.

When I gathered my wits , first thought I had was ….what made them think that their patient was more important than mine ?

After the patient and all the passengers got off, the same Maruti van , immediately parked across the ramp, saying "ek minute, patient ko leke aaaya hai" to the security guard who asked him to move. (One minute I've brought the patient).

The passengers had all gone off, it was just the driver who was in the van. For a few seconds I could not understand why he couldn't drive out of the compound like me to decently park in the car park to wait for the passengers to come back.

That's when it hit me, in his mind the driver was doing nothing wrong….…

My mind flashed back to a story my sister once told me. She was waiting for in the office for her credit card. She had to step out to give her kids lunch , so she asked her office assistant to take the card for her.

When the courier arrived naturally he asked to see her or her blood relativecredit cardto hand over the card which is a standard security precaution.

Her office assistant told the courier boy that they did a lot of business with the company,  he then bulldozed  the delivery person by saying she was  someone he had met many times.

In his eagerness to keep her happy since she pulled rank, the courier boy agreed and left the card with the assistant without physically meeting her. The point here is, she in her position as the head of the company pulled rank on a poor courier boy.

WE ALL BEND THE RULES WHEN IT SUITS US AND THINK ITS OK.

If a common man can get a credit card without an id, imagine what a politician can get away with ? How can you blame an IG for recommending a passport for his friend or a PM turning a blind eye when A Raja does some favours for a telecom company ?

Before we go pointing fingers at people, abusing them for misusing their powers, before we scream outrage at the overlooking of the rules which allowed 10 terrorists to come into Mumbai and wreak havoc, lets just take a moment to think how many times a day we pull rank to bend the rules for the petty works we do.

How many times a day we say "janta nahin mai kaun hoon ?" ( Dont you know who I am ?)

=========================================================================================================================================

Appeal

Folks, I've been asked by India Against Corruption to ask if any of the readers would like to have a meeting in their area, gymkhana / club or any kind of general gathering where their volunteer could come and talk about the Jan Lok Pal Bill and how it will benefit the public.

I am a firm believer in the Bill and if any of the readers would like to have such a meeting in their area, please email me at theindipatriot@yahoo.co.in and I will put you in touch with the volunteers.


For more articles like this one , please visit http://theindipatriot.blogspot.com


let me introduce myself:

I am an person of Indian origin residing in Mumbai who feels that the time has come to speak up or be silent forever. We all see movies like Rang De Basanti or Lage Raho Munnabhai and after walking out of theatre for the next couple of days the effect hangs like a halo around us. A few days later we go back to our old ways. This is my way of keeping the spirit of India alive. 

 

As they say" 100 mein se 99% beimaan phir be India hai Mahaan"


 

My Mission Statement is:

A lot of people have written in asking why do I write these articles?

My answer is simple.

We meet loads of people everyday. When we stand around talking a lot of issues are discussed, what I hope and see happening is that the next time one of the readers starts a conversation on a topic I have written about, at least they will talk about it from a new viewpoint from the rest.

Which is why I talk about all aspects on life in India be it the Ram Setu Bridge or the Elections or maybe even the latest soap on TV.

 

I am sending you this mail since you have at some time or the other sent me a joke, an interesting article or some other little snippet or or some friend who has liked my articles has reffered you to me or at the very least you have been a CC on such an article forwarded to me so I feel this may be of interest to you.

 

I have started a blog under the name indipatriot and am sending you this article and the link to the blog http://theindipatriot.blogspot.com where you can read this and other articles. I would also request you to send me articles and other things you would like me to publish on this blog from jokes to spiritual articles all comments are welcome. The email address for sending articles to is theindipatriot@yahoo.co.in  If you feel that this blog is not to your taste and do not wish to receive updates about the same, please send an email to the same address and we shall remove you from the mailing list.


Disclaimer This article is my personal opinion and is not meant to offend or hurt any person or any body of people. The matter is drawn from public domain and no copyright is knowingly transgressed. If any topic is found to be objectionable by you for any reason whatsoever, please do leave a comment and I will be glad to include a clarification in my followups.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment